The Hubley Hooligans in Action

Stupid moves, dumb stuff, my daily life living with Siberian Huskies.

Monday, June 06, 2005

My Story

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:48:05 -0400, Marilyn Hubley
wrote:

My story would be of my first Siberian, Gemini May Keema. After I lost
the dog I grew up with (Kemo) I was not sure I wanted another as I had been so
attached to the first. My husband (ex now) decided he was going to get one so I
insisted that I pick it since I knew I would be taking care of it. So I
knew I'd always wanted a Siberian Husky, researched the breed, researched
breeders and we decided on one and went to see her puppies. Well I fell in love
immediately with a little girl with one brown eye and one half brown/half
blue eye. We bought her but left her there until she was over 2 months as we
had a holiday planned. Well my sweet baby was adorable, head strong, saucy, and
a hellion from day one but her personality was awesome. She was less than a
year when my husband left me the first time, and she helped me thorough it, even
though I knew her heart was breaking as she would walk around the house at
bed time crying with a squeak toy in her mouth every night. Well they guy came
back and then did the same thing a year later and that was that. Gemini
took it better this time but it was hard as my time to give her attention was
very small now as I worked longer hours then my ex. She adjusted well to all
the new boyfriends and was riding home with my from the cottage when my
boyfriend (now ex) lost control of his 79 Corvette and spun around and went over the
side of the road where we were caught by the road side guard for that area as
it has a creek down about 20 ft. We took out a number of poles and the wire
holding the polls together ripped off the roof of the car and hung me but my
biggest stroke of luck came in the form of my dog being fine expect for a sore leg
and the fact she did not run away but stayed near the accident site with me (I
have no memory of the accident or that summer). She got into the tow truck
drivers vehicle without a problem (she was very shy of men) and waited for my
uncle to come and pick her up at a garage (she must have been in shock). She was
brought to visit me in the hospital when I got out of ICU a few weeks
later but was afraid of me as I had a Halo vest on for my broken neck and the head
injuries had left me very child like in my actions. She was passed from
one to another person while I stayed with my parents who took care of me for three
months. She didn't mind. She saved me numerous times over the last 7
years since that accident as depression ruled my life for quite a large amount of
that time and they had a hard time getting it under control, when ever I
was suicidal the one thing that kept me alive was my precious Gemini, who would
take care of her? who would understand all the diseases this dog was
ridden with from day one (breeder disappeared). Only me so I stayed. She was
there for me when both my Grandmothers passed away in the same week a year after
my accident and when my Dad passed away a month later. She put up with my
temper tantrums (yes I even hit my poor baby when I was left at home to recuperate
from my head injury all alone, and with strangely no control of my
emotions). She'd always comes to me when I cried and sits at my feet patiently
waiting for my touch and my comfort to tell her I'm okay. I feel her health is
sometimes tied to mine as when I'm not well, she usually gets sick too. Anyway she
has battled Colitis, Gastro Enteritis, Epilepsy since we got her (she is 11
now) and in her later years developed diabetes and cushings disease as well as a
neurological disorder. She's almost totally bald except for her head and
legs so I made shirts and sweaters for her so she doesn't get frost bite or
sunburn. I've spent about $40,000 to keep her alive and HAPPY but I would
have sold my house and everything I own for her as she has always given me
unconditional love. With all the proper attention she has lived a long and
wonderful life and is enjoying her new country home where she roams free
(hip displaced a few winters ago, can't operate because of diabetes) and is the
lord and master of the house over the other three dogs. She goes to my Moms
often as my Mom loves her dearly and she tolerates my Moms cats and never chases
them anymore. She has been through more with me but this is getting like a
book so I'll just tell you she is my best friend and I love her very much. Her
happiness is my Number #1 priority :) Now I have to go get some kleenex :)

Marilyn - these sites hold some pictures of Gemini
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/3863/
http://sites.netscape.net/maykeema/homepage
http://www3.sympatico.ca/mhubley/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home