The Hubley Hooligans in Action

Stupid moves, dumb stuff, my daily life living with Siberian Huskies.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Sledding RULES

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 15:32:41 -0500, Marilyn Hubley
wrote:
>Ahhhhhh what a wonderful day for sledding :) Bright sunny, not a cloud in
>the sky. Got up early prepared the dogs loaded the truck, put each dog in
>Durango (carried a set of car keys & house keys in case they locked me
>out ). Finished loading up, stuck the keys in my waist band of my sweats,
>got my purse & camera and set out :) First stop Tim Hortons :) mandatory
>coffee but didn't drink it right away cause didn't want to have to hang my
>butt out in the cold to go pee :) Made it to trails borrowed a dog and
>hooked up 4. Any of you that know me should have laughed at that mistake.
>I got Weaver and Keda (borrowed) out front and they are ready to go, Tundra
>& Cojo in the back about to be dragged whether they want to or not. FLY
>OUTTA THE GATE!!!!!!!! Straight for railway tracks, heavily used tracks,
no
>gates. Start to brake and could well have gone over the sled handle dogs
>were going so fast. Luckily no train but we did see at least 3 or more.
>Dogs got tangled up, fine untangle, tangle again, fine untangle. Did I
>mention I have NO SNOW HOOK??? So have to hold onto the sled and work my
>way up the gang line to hold onto them all the while they are pulling like
>psycho's??? By this time I'm exhausted cause they are hauling me every
>where. Make it back to sled and they take off knocking me flying to the
>right, dragging me behind them, I DIDN'T LET GO!!!! Dragged my feet got
>back up and was to exhausted to turn them around and they had already
>started down the WRONG PATH. Did I mention a team went before me and was
>going to look for me and a team was going behind me to watch for me??? Did
>I mention NO ONE saw me fall and get dragged around the wrong corner????
>Fine lets go, what a BEAUTIFUL DAY it was for sledding the dogs were loving
>it, I was loving it, the cross country skiers were wise enough to move WELL
>OUTTA THE WAY :) Did I mention I've never gone on these trails before and
I
>had no way of knowing where I'm going??? Well one turn I eventually made
>after the team had run for a few miles lead me back to the Railway tracks
>but no crossing so I figured I'd cut things short and go back the way I
came
>and not attempt to get lost :) Weaver listened to GEE every time I yelled
>it. The snow was deep in some places and the dogs could go over but when I
>put my foot down to push usually I sank so it was a leisurely ride back :)
>Made it back in one piece and figured that was enough for one day didn't
>want to push my luck :) Hung around for awhile and chatted. Lent Weaver
to
>a friend and then headed home when he got back. Stopped to pick up lunch
>was STARVING drove in the driveway got out and neighbour was hiding and
>threw a snowball at truck, duly startled I knew it was him. Yelled at him
>and started unloading the truck. 3 trips all done, take off my jacket, low
>and below what's still in my waistband but the set of spare keys I had used
>to pack the truck :) What does that say about my obviously VERY TIGHT
>waistband??? That it kept those keys safe and sound even after a serious
>dog dragging incident :( Maybe I should put Weaver as driver and I should
>pull the sled????
>
>P.S. sporting a sunburnt face
>
>Marilyn & The Hubley Hooligans

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home